SHIFTING

1993 Ford Aerostar

b123123

September, 24, 2010 AT 5:30 PM

1993 Ford Aerostar 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 183000 miles

When I start driving the car will not shift out of first gear for a mile give or take. I have to drive it at around 20mph, 3000rpm. Eventually it will shift to second and then will operate normally. It can go back down to first and move through all the gears just fine. I had the transmission fluid changed recently. Is this a pressure issue.

larry6354

September, 27, 2010 AT 8:00 AM

I guess what I gotta ask first is ARE YOU SURE THAT THE FLUID AND FILTER got changed. Yes it does sound like a pressure problem but normally a pressure problem shows up AFTER warmup and not the other way arround. Unless the filter is plugged and not letting the Colder THICKER fluid pass through a partiall plugged filter. The potential pressure problem will become worse after warnup as the fluid heats and gets thinner and harder to hold into worn or cracked seals and clutch packs.
Get an auto parts store scan to check for possible CTS or Trans temp codes and get back w/Me Larry

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service