The 53 is for the distributor interrupt signal.
I attached the description and the flow chart for you to follow.
Code E53 is set if the PCM/ECM does not receive distributor reference pulses from the HEI for more than.4 seconds. Since the PFI system requires HEI pulses in order to fire the injectors, most occurrences of code E53 will be accompanied by a stall.
1. Code E19 not set.
Engine speed greater than 568 rpm followed by no distributor reference pulses for.4 seconds.
1. Code E53 is set, and no telltales are illuminated.
NOTES ON FAULT TREE:
1. You will need 2 patch cords and 2 flexible connectors to make jumpers.
NOTE ON INTERMITTENTS:
DO NOT diagnose code E53 unless the customer complains of stumble, miss, stall or other driveability condition that could be caused by loss of spark or fuel.
Code E53 can be caused by:
1. Loss of battery power to "B+" terminal of the distributor.
2. A pick up coil that has an intermittent short, open or poor connection at the module.
3. Check the PCM connector for improperly seated terminals and mating to the PCM connector.
Images (Click to enlarge)
Thursday, April 25th, 2019 AT 3:35 PM