1. Open hood as far as possible. Disconnect negative battery cable. Disconnect positive battery cable. Remove engine ground cables and ignition coil wire. Remove battery and heat shields. Remove battery tray. Remove battery cables
from underhood fuse/relay box. Disconnect engine wiring harness connector on
right side of engine compartment. Remove battery cable from underhood ABS
2. Remove intake air duct and vacuum hose. Remove power steering pump belt adjusting bolt, lock nut and mounting bolt. Remove power steering pump belt and power steering pump. Loosen idler pulley center nut and adjusting bolt, and remove A/C compressor belt.
3. Disconnect throttle cable. DO NOT bend cable. Replace cable if kinked.
Disconnect engine wiring harness connectors on left side of engine compartment. Remove brake booster vacuum hose, and EVAP control canister hose and vacuum hose. Relieve fuel pressure. Remove fuel feed hose, return hose and vacuum hose. Remove engine wire harness clamp, wire harness stay and ground cable.
4. Remove A/C compressor and lay aside. DO NOT disconnect A/C hoses. Remove Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)/power steering speed sensor. DO NOT disconnect fluid hoses. Remove torque converter cover. Remove drive plate bolts one at a time while rotating crankshaft pulley. Remove transmission housing bolts and 26-mm shim. Remove transmission sub-harness connector.
5. Remove radiator cap. Raise and support vehicle. Remove front wheels and splash shield. Drain engine coolant, engine oil and differential oil. Reinstall drain plugs using NEW washers. Remove damper fork. Disconnect suspension lower arm ball joints. Remove axle shafts. Coat finished surfaces with oil and cover axle shaft ends with plastic bags. Remove wire harness covers and disconnect primary heated O2 sensor connector.
6. Remove exhaust pipe "A" and exhaust manifold brackets. Remove transmission mount and mount bracket. Shift transmission to Park. Remove 33-mm transmission sealing bolt. Remove extension shaft from differential using extension shaft puller. Lower vehicle. Remove upper and lower radiator hoses, and radiator. Remove heater hoses.
7. Attach chain hoist to engine. Disconnect vacuum hoses and remove front engine mounts. Raise hoist and remove mid-engine mounts. Remove transmission housing mount bolts and torque converter cover. Separate engine and transmission. Attach transmission jack with wooden block to protect
transmission housing. Install mid-engine mounts to transmission and re-torque
8. Raise chain hoist to remove slack from chain. Ensure engine is free from all
hoses and wiring. Slowly raise engine about 6". Verify engine is still free from
all hoses and electrical wiring. Raise engine completely and remove from
Above are procedures from the shop manual but I would prefer to drop the complete engine and transmission assy with the subframe. Easier to work, especially when it comes to reinstalling the transmission.
Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 AT 5:32 AM