Engine coolant over temperature alert

JAMES POLI
  • 2014 FORD FUSION
I was driving down the highway and when I got off, the alert popped up saying, "engine coolant over temperature." I did not see any leaks and am pretty weary of the diagnosis I got from the mechanics saying that the water pump needs to be replaced along with the serpentine belt. Over $1,200.00 (that I do not have). I am looking for some suggestions on how to properly diagnose the problem and repair it myself.
Wednesday, May 30th, 2018 AT 8:35 PM

MHPAUTOS
I would be looking at the thermostat and cooling fans first. Also, make sure that there is no debris building up around the radiator core as this can limit air flow. Is the temperature gauge running at the normal position? Also, is the coolant level correct in the surge tank? If low a cooling system pressure test will help locate any minor leaks.
+2
Wednesday, May 30th, 2018 AT 10:13 PM
JAMES POLI
The coolant level is correct and the gauge is showing all the way up to the H.
+4
Saturday, June 2nd, 2018 AT 1:17 PM
MHPAUTOS
I would start with replacing the thermostat it sounds as if it may be stuck closed.
+2
Saturday, June 2nd, 2018 AT 5:04 PM
CHAPA9182
I also have a 2014 Fusion, it started making a noise like it was the crankshaft pulley. Then my car got overheated after a few days of making noise and went into limp mode. Had to have it towed home. Started checking the car and found it was the water pump that was making the noise and went out. You could move the pulley up and down. It never leaked any coolant. Replaced pump and timing belt. Had to clear codes to get it out of limp mode. Hope this helps.
+1
Thursday, January 9th, 2020 AT 9:54 AM
CHAPA9182
By the way it has a 1.5L engine.
Thursday, January 9th, 2020 AT 9:57 AM
KEN
Excellent addition to this thread! Please feel free to use 2CarPros anytime!
Saturday, January 11th, 2020 AT 3:11 PM

Sponsored links