Engine coolant over temperature alert

JAMES POLI
  • 2014 FORD FUSION
I was driving down the highway and when I got off, the alert popped up saying, "engine coolant over temperature." I did not see any leaks and am pretty weary of the diagnosis I got from the mechanics saying that the water pump needs to be replaced along with the serpentine belt. Over $1,200.00 (that I do not have). I am looking for some suggestions on how to properly diagnose the problem and repair it myself.
Wednesday, May 30th, 2018 AT 8:35 PM

MHPAUTOS
I would be looking at the thermostat and cooling fans first. Also, make sure that there is no debris building up around the radiator core as this can limit air flow. Is the temperature gauge running at the normal position? Also, is the coolant level correct in the surge tank? If low a cooling system pressure test will help locate any minor leaks.
+2
Wednesday, May 30th, 2018 AT 10:13 PM
JAMES POLI
The coolant level is correct and the gauge is showing all the way up to the H.
+5
Saturday, June 2nd, 2018 AT 1:17 PM
MHPAUTOS
I would start with replacing the thermostat it sounds as if it may be stuck closed.
+1
Saturday, June 2nd, 2018 AT 5:04 PM