EFFECT OF A BAD AIR PUMP

• Ppadr010
  • 2001 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA

I have a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T. The problem with my car is that every time I start it up in the mornings, or whenever it's cold, it makes a loud screeching sound for about a minute. During that loud noise, I'll have to wait till it stops because the brakes won't work. However, as soon as the noise stops, the car works perfectly. I know it has to do with an air pump not working and that it's not so urgent to get fixed. But I was wondering for how long could I have it like that, without it causing any additional problems? I've made so many expensive fixes on my car that I don't want to be doing any more that aren't too necessary. However, I don't want one unresolved problem to create more pricey problems.

Thursday, April 25th, 2013 AT 3:55 PM

• Mhpautos

When you say no breaks, id the pedal very hard and you have poor brake efficiency, or you have no pedal pressure?

Saturday, April 27th, 2013 AT 3:54 AM
  • Exovcds

Yes, the noise you are hearing is most likely the Secondary Air Injection Pump.

Most likely an automatic transmission vehicle? You need to check if your car has an electric vacuum pump for "brake booster assist".

If yes, then there might be a problem with the vacuum pump or tubing that is causing low brake assist when the engine is cold.

If no, then you can either retro fit the vacuum assist pump to the vehicle or fix the "low vacuum" issue (when cold).

Thomas

Sunday, April 28th, 2013 AT 1:49 PM