VISON INTERMITTENT STARING PROBLEM

Eagle Vision

Safety Harbor

May, 19, 2007 AT 11:03 AM

3.3 93 with 97K
When hot and parked, after short time wont start, turns over, found it had no spark. Waited 30 min, started perfectly. Does not do this every day. Changed spark plugs, cam sensor, coil, crank sensor. Now its worse than ever, if I get it started it is running on 3 or 4 badly, try feathering accel and it back fires with big flat spot. Starts with a miss, does not develop, sound like it is flooded or has 2 wet plugs, but if I can keep it running, nothing clears out. Feed the accel gently and it gets to 1500rpm with the missing and occasional backfire through inlet, like timing was out and dead plugs. Next change I have a fuel filter. Where should I be looking? Before I changed the sensors at least it started and ran fine, once it did start. Now very depressing. Should I just go fishing or start drinking? Or both?

Jack42

May, 20, 2007 AT 7:59 AM

Be sure the plug wires are on the correct terminals on the coil. Check engine light on? If so have it scanned and get back to me with the code/codes

Safety Harbor

May, 20, 2007 AT 11:27 AM

R e traced my steps, The cam sensor has an o ring half way up its perimeter so that it seals in the vertical hole. It mounts with a slotted tab and a 10mm bolt. I undid the bolt and applied downward pressure to the top of the new sensor, it moved down a cats wisker befor it bottomed out, re installed the bolt, turned the key, and " Rock and Roll".
Conclusion, sensors poorly made/designed require maximum insertion before correct tollerance is achieved, and a micron makes a difference.

Jack42

May, 21, 2007 AT 7:45 AM

Glad to hear its fixed

rwilson881

October, 13, 2007 AT 12:09 PM

I have a 93 TSI Visionwith 179k. Had the computer replaced, no joy. Can you tell me where I can get info on replacing or adjusted this CAM Sensor. Is it a diy job?

Jack42

October, 15, 2007 AT 8:33 AM

rwilson881

December, 15, 2007 AT 1:16 PM

Thahks for the help. I finally replaced the cam sensor. It was way too easy to do. : -)
I now have a oil light that comes on when the car is hot and is idling if I rev the engine the light goes out. It has plenty of oil but it does seem to still be running hot but not by the quage. A friend believes I may have a bad oil pump or sensor. I guess I want to know how do I find out which it is.

Jack42

December, 16, 2007 AT 8:25 AM

Install a manual gauge and see if it has oil pressure when hot. If it does, odds are good the sender is bad

rwilson881

December, 16, 2007 AT 10:45 AM

A friend who is a mechanic says that the sensor or the pump not supplying enough oil could also cause the same symptoms. The car would stop because the computer would sense no oil. Sound plausible to me.
What about u?
Thanks for the quick reply

Jack42

December, 17, 2007 AT 7:13 AM

Only if the PCM is wired into the oil sender, not sure that they did that on these cars, GM did it, not sure about Dodge. If the car stops due to lack of oil it is usually a more permanent thing than just restarting it

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet