MY CAR IS RUNNING VERY ROUGH AND NO POWE

1992 Dodge Stealth

mountie

1992 Dodge Stealth 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 344000 miles

My car started to run very rough and the tac is only showing about 30 % of the actual revs. At idol it is making a put put sound from the exhaust. I checked the ingition coils and replaced them. I checked the computer and replaced it also. The plugs were some what fowled but working. The car has NO power and can barely move from a stopped position.

Each mechanic has a new theory! Head gasket, valve broke etc. I believe there is a lack of " fire" going to the coil or a reduced amount which would account for the tac.

Is there a elctrial sensor or regulator I have missed.

PS there is no oil in th coolent or coolant in the oil or I am not betting on the head gasket.

Help please!

Mountie

Running Rough

Idles Rough/changed Ects

Check and test the following below: Oxygen sensor
Catalytic converter

Dirty fuel injectors (cleaning the injectors often fixes this).
Bad MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor
Bad TPS (throttle position) sensor
Bad or dirty MAF (mass airflow) sensor
Low fuel pressure (leaky fuel pressure regulator or weak fuel pump)
Vacuum leaks (intake manifold, vacuum hoses, throttle body, EGR valve)
Bad gasoline (fuel contaminated with water or too much alcohol)

Sometimes, what feels like a hesitation is actually ignition misfire rather than lean misfire. The causes of ignition misfire may include: Dirty or worn spark plugs
Bad plug wires
Weak ignition coil
Wet plug wires
Cap and Rotor

imfried420

March, 28, 2010 AT 7:55 AM

Did you find your problem? My 92 RT/TT was working perfect, it started acting exactly like what you described. Low idle, no power, exhaust popping.
Greg.

manticore9

February, 19, 2011 AT 1:51 AM

I realize this thread is old but I had what appears to be this exact issue last year based on your symptom descriptions. Tow different dealers couldn't resolve it even with the help of Dodge's Star Center but I finally found info on the problem through the SoCal Stealth/3000GT club's forums. Apparently the earlier models of the Stealth had a bad capacitor on the Engine Control Module(ECM) board that is behind the center console. The capacitor tends to leak and the caustic fluid runs down the board since it is mounted vertically. The fluid causes issues depending upon which traces or other components it affects.

A couple of the symptoms I also had and based on the club's info are common for this issue are sometimes when starting you hear a clicking noise and it won't start. Then you try again and it does. The other is you may smell a somewhat fishy odor given off by the fluid from the capacitor.

I was able to walk through the removal of the ECM, I then sent it to a company called Foreign Auto Computer Repair in Florida. If they can repair the board it is a lot cheaper (cost me $148) than if they have to replace - Mike A.