IDLE AT 250 WHEN COLD THEN 750 WHEN WARM

1993 Dodge Shadow

jonnyc127

January, 21, 2010 AT 6:35 AM

1993 Dodge Shadow 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 120000 miles

when you start the car when it is cold it will idle at 250 and run rough. But then when it warms up it will idle at 750. If I adjust the idle speed screw it will fix it for a little bit but then it will go back down.

ch112063

February, 7, 2010 AT 2:24 PM

Idle speed is controlled by the engine computer and an idle speed motor(IAC). If you remove it, then turn the key to run it should move. If not the computer, wiring, or motor is N/G. Bring the idle screw back to its original position if you can get it fixed, and clean the inside of the throttle body, including the mounting hole that the idle motor sits in. Let me know how you do, ok?
You'll need a torx setup. The idle speed motor screws are torx head.
Before anything get and record any fault codes. Turn the ignition key on, off, on, off, on. All within 5 seconds and count the flashes that the " check engine" light gives you, ok. These are important.

Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L