SERPENTINE BELT

2000 Dodge Ram

noele

July, 30, 2010 AT 1:57 PM

2000 Dodge Ram diesel Four Wheel Drive Manual

Need to change belt but unclear how to release tension. The tensioner seems to have one bolt, but loosening it didn't seem to allow the tensioner to move. What is the trick to release the belt tension?

Jacobandnickolas

July, 31, 2010 AT 10:59 PM

The tensionier is on a pivot. It basicaly just needs turned on the direction that will losten the belt. Take a look at the belt routing diagrams site on this page. It will show pictures of the tensionier. I hate to say it, but I rarely work on the diesel. Many of the tensioniers just use a 3/8" ratchet to move them. Others require sockets. Just look for somewhere to attach, and I think you'll see it.

If I was there, I could show you in 2 seconds. It's hard to explaine in words.

Let me know if you find it or have other questions.

noele

August, 1, 2010 AT 9:12 AM

There doesn't seem to be a routing diagram for the diesel, it just shows " pickup" which doesn't match. The tensioner does have a hole that a 3/8 drive will fit. I'll need a breaker bar to get at it and am unsure about how much torque it will take to restore the original tension since the belt seems to be VERY tight. I'll give it a shot, but am in trouble if I can't get it back, this is my only wheels and I'm in the sticks. Thanks for the answer Joe.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 1, 2010 AT 10:14 PM

That is the spot. Actually, the tensionier is spring loaded. When you turn it to loosten the belt, it will try to keep tension on it. Reroute the new belt, remove the tension from the tensionier, slide the new belt into place, and when you release pressure from the breaker bar, the tensionier will automatically place the tension back on the belt. If you run into trouble or need a belt routing diagram, let me know and I'll find one for you.

Let me know how it goes.

PS: You may want to make your own diagram before removing the belt.

noele

August, 7, 2010 AT 12:02 AM

Thanks guys for the help, a breaker bar on the tensioner did the trick. By the way, there was a belt routing diagram printed on top of the radiator and it turned out I did indeed need it.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 7, 2010 AT 1:22 AM

Glad to help. Let us know if you have questions in the future, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.

Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement Ford
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement