IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER

1987 Dodge Raider

aphoebus

July, 6, 2010 AT 9:42 PM

1987 Dodge Raider 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 120, 00 miles

I have a 1987 Dodge Raider that needs a new ignition lock cylinder.
I can't figure out how to get the old lock cylinder out and the haynes repair manual I have is not helping. How do I remove the old lock cylinder?

2CarPros Ken

July, 12, 2010 AT 3:01 PM

Hello, to replace the ignition switch you must first remove the steering column cover, next, use a hacksaw to cut slots into the upper mounting bolts. Use these slots to remove the bolts, remove wiring and reconnect onto new switch. Reassemble and recheck.

aphoebus

July, 17, 2010 AT 5:49 PM

Not the ignition switch, the lock cylinder, you know where you put your key to start the car. I have everything off, the steering column covers the harness, I took the steering lock assembly off but I still can't figure out how to pull the lock cylinder out of the housing and get the new one in

July, 18, 2010 AT 3:31 AM

Our database does not provide any information on the key cylinder removals and I hope the following works.

With the key turned to ACC ( first position after LOCK) look for a pin somewhere on top of the cylinder housing. Depress the pin and pull the inner cylinder out with the key.

aphoebus

July, 18, 2010 AT 4:17 PM

Ok. There doesn't seem to be a pin but right above the acc position there is a slot. Do I maybe need a special tool to stick in that slot to get the cylinder to release?

July, 18, 2010 AT 4:29 PM

You can try that to see if it works. If it is anything that feel it has a spring below, I believe it should work.

aphoebus

July, 18, 2010 AT 4:41 PM

Yeah it has a spring below it. Guess I'll head to NAPA and see if they have a tool for it. Thank you

July, 18, 2010 AT 4:57 PM

You're welcome.

Hope it works. : )

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler 300
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty
Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota