RAIDER TIMING CHAIN REINSTALLATION

1988 Dodge

MorganReed

April, 11, 2007 AT 2:03 PM

I have a 1988 Dodge Raider with a 2.6L that I pulled the head and had it checked out and reworked. I made sure the timing chain did not come off the top sprocket I removed to get the head off. On reinstalling the head, I now can not get the timing chain top sprocket to reach the end of the cam. It is about 1/2 inch too tight. The service manual has no information on this step, it simply says to reinstall the sprocket. I can see from other images there is a timing chain tensioner spring device. What is the trick to " stretch" the chain and get it reinstalled on the end of the cam? The car particulars are a 1988 Dodge Raider (2 door Mitsubishi Montero) with a 2.6L 4 cyc and 175,000 miles.
Thanks very much for the help!

Jack42

April, 12, 2007 AT 8:16 AM

Grab your flashlight and look down the front of the engine along the chain. You will see the tensioner " shoe" popped out of the tensioner. Use a long thin screwdriver and alot of patience and push the shoe back in the tensioner while gently pulling up on the chain/top gear. When the needed length is gotten, pop the top gear back on. Be sure to verify timing marks so as not to damage the engine

MorganReed

April, 17, 2007 AT 1:10 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have tried and tried and have not yet been successful. I have not taken the top sproket off the chain yet. If I mark the sprocket and chain, will removing the top sproket give me more room to get the tensioner back in its hole? Is this a good idea and will it help?
Thanks again,
Morgan

Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz