2004 Dodge Neon sunroof wont close

• 4 POSTS
  • 2004 DODGE NEON

Interior problem
2004 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 64400 miles

I have a factory 04 neon sunroof that wont close all of the way. you guys sent me a schematic and written instructions on removal/install. But the schematic is too small to view little intricate parts and if it were legible i probably wouold still need help to figure out problem!! can i start a dialogue with an experienced troubleshooter?

Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 7:38 AM

• 1 POST

Wow, does this look familiar. I had a similar problem just two days ago and discovered that the roll pin on the passenger's side (as shown in your #1 photo) has slipped out and allowed the connecting part to become jambed in the slide, breaking the little part the raises the roof when in the open position.

My solution was temporary at best as I look for a replacement part.

1) I removed the glass panel (6 TORX screws, 3 each side) and lifted the panel out of the way.
2) Once I could get to the mechanism, I dislodged the jambed pieces and discovered that the lower mounting point on the upright/lifting piece was broken. It broke because the roll pin had slipped out of position and allowed it to travel seperately from the rest of the mechanism, snagging at some point and snapping the lower mounting points.
3) The broken piece, however, could be reatteched and slipped back into position until I could locate replacement parts, so that was what I did.
4) With the mechanism in the half-way back position, I slipped the roll pin back into place and lined everything back up.
5) Reaching through the open roof and using the power switch, I moved everything to the closed position and made sure the passenger's side slider was also pushed all the way forward (closed position).
6) I aligned and resecured the glass panel into the opening, making sure it fit properly.
7) I pulled the sunroof switch from the header and disconnected the power connector so there would be no chance the roof might be inadvertently activated while I tried to locate replacement parts.

If I find a source for individual repalcemetn parts, I'll post another reply but fear that short of going to a u-pull-it yard, I may be forced to purchase something a bit more complicated than is really necessary to affect the repair.

Liberty MO

Wednesday, September 30th, 2009 AT 3:02 PM