2001 Dodge Neon Cranking

• 2001 DODGE NEON

2001 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 123522 miles

Okay. Ive had this Cranking problem for about a month now.A code that said it was the PCM came up so I baught a PCM and that didnt help. Now a O2 sensor code comes up but eveyrboyd I talk to says that wouldnt make it do this. It will crank and run GREAT sumtimes and then sumtims more than often I get in it an it will jus turn over to a lowwww engine idle and cut off wen I press the gas. Sometimes it will jus turn over and the engine wont run at all. PLEASE help me if possable. Thank You for your time!

Monday, August 16th, 2010 AT 4:44 PM

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Monday, August 16th, 2010 AT 5:28 PM