ENGINE TROUBLE AFTER REPLACING TIMING BELT

1999 Dodge Neon

zaman65

July, 17, 2008 AT 2:56 PM

1999 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

It is a DOHC engine.

The car was running good. Had routine maintenance of timing belt and water pump by an ASE certified mechanic about 5 days ago. Now the car runs very rough. Check engine light is ON. Hesitate to start. Shut down after start. The problem happened on the next day after the change. I took it back. Was told that there was a vacum leak and vacum tube has been replaced. Drove about 5 miles and it started driving rough again and check engine light is now permanaenly on. I am not driving the car now. Appreciate any less expensive advice. Email me @zaman65@yahoo. Com thank you

obxautomedic

July, 17, 2008 AT 6:15 PM

Have codes pulled, your local AutoZone will do it for free.

Post codes here in forum

zaman65

July, 18, 2008 AT 8:32 AM

Post codes here in forum[/quote: 9ccf99c433]

Thanks. Last time there was no code. This time the Service engine light is permanently ON and hope we will get a code. The car is with the mechanic now. I asked about synchronization of timing. According to mechanic it is OK. I checked the timing belt. It is not loose rather it looks tight to me. Again, according to mechanic it is normal. The car drove fine about 6 miles to the mechanic with service engine light. The car idle very rough after start up and if I do not give extra gas it shut down in about 10 second. Again everything was fine before replacing the timing belt. I will upfate you the final result. Thank you again.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX