PLYMOUTH STALLING, ROUGH IDLE

1998 Dodge Neon

mg282

May, 22, 2007 AT 5:43 PM

Hi I have a 98 Plymouth Neon 2.0 SOHC. Manual transmission. The car has 134,000 miles. Recently the last 3 months my car began to get poor fuel economy so I changed the spark plugs and wires, air filter etc. Full tune up also had the fuel system cleaned out. The problem worsened and began stalling after driving around 15 -20 miles when id get to a stop light or a stop and go situation. Soon after the engine light came on upon taking it to a mechanic I was told my engine was running rich and since then have replaced Up & downstream o2 sensor and also MAP sensor. After replacing sensors engine light is still on and still giving rich code. I have since taking my car to the dealer and was told on these cars the ECU goes bad so upon disconnecting the ECU there was a lot of brownish liquid at the connectors. Could a failed ECU be the cause and the gradual worsening be due to this or is this liquid normal?

Mike

Jack42

May, 23, 2007 AT 8:21 AM

The liguid is probably a dielectric grease of some kind. Hows the spark on the car, have replaced alot of coils in those for dying ang rough running. Might even be a bad injector

chiefcartwright

August, 6, 2007 AT 11:12 AM

My car has SAME problem, I cannot find MAP sensor. I have tried everything and then was told fuel pump heats up and then dies sometimes so that might be problem. Any idea on checking the ECU?

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8