QUESTION

1999 Dodge Intrepid

leprechaun7

December, 22, 2006 AT 6:58 PM

While driving today I noticed a loud screetch from my car. There was no engine light on, and there is a smell of burning rubber. I am trying to find out what it might be. I have a 1999 Dodge Intrepid with approx. 125,000 miles. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

garfield

December, 22, 2006 AT 8:25 PM

I would check out the serpentine belt, tensioner pulley and the idler pulleys* the pulleys have small sealed bearings inside that may be ready to fail). First take a flashlight and inspect your serpentine belt for signs of burn marks or melted rubber; if you see any signs of burning or melted sections, remove the belt and check the tensioner pulley and idler pulleys for smooth operation and free rotation. If the pulleys feel rough or gritty while turning change them out. They are available at most auto parts stores. Hope this helps

Later

Gary