TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

1996 Dodge Intrepid

16yearold

April, 6, 2010 AT 9:21 PM

1996 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 176000 miles

Hello im 16 years old an I just so recently bought a 1996 Dodge Intrepid. It have about 176,000 miles on it. I bought it from a guy who said it has transmission problems. At first it wouldnt go into second gear. But after driving it about 10-25 miles it went into second gear. After that it started shifting perfect untill just so recently. I was at the store with my parents an I stoped to get some air. The transmission stoped pulling completely. So I turned the car off then restarted it an it ran just fine. So I just need some help to find out what the problem is with it stop pulling like it does.

ch112063

April, 6, 2010 AT 9:43 PM

Hi, I am happy you have the car and hope you don't have a serious problem with it. If this transmission has any electrical failures it goes into 'limp-in' mode. You'll have second gear only until you turn it off, and on again when it resets and is ok for a while. The transmission is computer controlled for shifts so the problem is stored as a fault code, and it can be read with a scan tool that plugs into your OBD connector. Make sure the fluid is full and clean, then scan the OBDII connector for transmission fault codes, after the fluid is ok. It may just need a service, and I hope so, but you'll need to have it scanned to find out why it keeps falling into 'limp-in' mode. Ok there is a good section in this website under " how does it work". Read it, it may help you understand how this transmission operates. Let me know if you need more help, ok.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service