2003 DODGE DURANGO AC GETS WARM WHEN THE REAR AC IS ON

• e5fornow
  • 2003 Dodge Durango

Air Conditioning problem
2003 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 50000 miles

The AC works fine when the front AC is on. When I turn the rear AC on, it does not matter what blower speed, the air starts getting warm. I looked over the compressor and found that the compressor cycles quickly whenever the rear AC is on. I checked pressures and the pressures seem okay when the compressor is on but are high when it is off.

Monday, May 31st, 2010 AT 6:08 PM

• caradiodoc

Hi e5fornow. Welcome to the forum. This sounds typical for the system to be low on charge. Look on top of the receiver / drier for a tiny sight glass. If there are vapor bubbles, the system is low. This only works on Chryslers. Fords also use a sight glass but there will be bubbles even when the system is fully charged.

Monday, May 31st, 2010 AT 11:30 PM
  • e5fornow

I could not find the window, I looked on top of the I believe the accumalator but did not see anything. I added about half a bottle and the ac clutch disengaged and started to cycle. After I shutdown and restarted I had oil and freon venting out of the back of the compressor whenever it would engage. I shut it down and inspected the tube connections to the compressor they looked fine, I did see a hole on the back of the compressor where I think it was venting from. When I get more time I will have to clean all the oil up and I will take a better look with the intake off. I spoke to a mechanic friend of mine who never heard of a compressor with a 'blow off valve' I did vent the system on the low pressure side and retried the ac and everything is working now I get cold air with both the front and the rear ac on. Have you ever heard of the compressor venting or did I blow out a seal?

Tuesday, June 1st, 2010 AT 6:06 PM
  • caradiodoc

The pressure relief valve should be on the receiver / drier. I can't imagine what would be leaking on the compressor. The only seal is on the front behind the clutch.

Tuesday, June 1st, 2010 AT 8:35 PM