1999 Dodge Durango code connector wiring

HILARY FUNK
  • 1999 DODGE DURANGO
Whle replacing the motor the wires on the coding connector were pulled loose. New motor is in but problematic while idling. I need a diagram of the wiring for the connector so I can code for the problem.
Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 AT 12:20 AM

I'm not sure which connector you're referring to. The diagnostic connector is under the dash by the steering column. There's an easier way to get the fault codes.

Cycle the ignition switch from off to run three times within five seconds without cranking the engine. After the third time, leave the switch in "Run" and the codes will be displayed in the odometer.

If you get a code 12, that just means the ignition switch was turned off. If the engine computer detects a problem that will affect emissions, it will turn on the Check Engine light.

Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 AT 1:33 AM
HILARY FUNK
I was referring to the female connector from the car for the scan tool. I think it's called the aldl connector--I found a pinout diagram in the Mitchell manual wiring diagrams that showed 5 of the 9 wires I have and placed them accordingly. 4 I left disconnected. I ran the scan. The scan indicated that the computer, (ECM?) Is not processing. Current goes in, no current comes out.
It could be that all 9 wires are needed to run the diagnostic, or, the computer cannot reboot to the new motor and I'll have to take it to the dealer to get it done. I don't have that tool.
Thursday, March 26th, 2009 AT 11:46 PM
Did you try getting codes with the ignition switch?

"ALDL" stands for "Assembly Line Data Link". The wider side of the connector is pins 1-8. The narrower side is pins 9-16. I don't see a keyway so hopefully you can figure these out from the five wires you have already. Cavities 1, 3, 9-13, and 15 are not used.

Pin 2 is violet with a yellow stripe.
Pin 4 and 5 are both black; they're ground wires.
Pin 6 is light green.
Pin 7 is pink with a tan stripe.
Pin 8 is red with a white stripe.
Pin 14 is pink with a light blue stripe.
Pin 16 is pink.

I used a '99 Intrepid book, but the connector should be the same. Some of the blank pins are used at the discretion of the manufacturer for their equipment. Certain pins are standardized among all car brands per federal mandate. If you find different wire colors, ask for a photocopy from the correct manual from a friendly Dodge dealer. I don't have any Caravan manuals newer than a '95. These connectors started in '96.

Friday, March 27th, 2009 AT 4:23 AM
HILARY FUNK
Thanks, that's more info than I was able to get from the condensed library Mitchell reference. The Dodge dealer did a reboot to the computer and the Durango is running.

Much obliged.
Monday, March 30th, 2009 AT 8:38 AM

Related General Content

Drill Out a Bolt and Tap a Thread
VIDEO