ENGINE LOADING UP

1998 Dodge Durango

tcovino@hotmail.com

August, 27, 2009 AT 7:15 PM

1998 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 112000 miles

put plugs in 360 engine that was running rough and it ran ok for a few minutes then fouled them and began to run rough again. The pipe from the Cat to the Muffler gets red so I cut off the muffler and it does the same thing. Now it is shooting flames out of the pipe and still running rough. I changed the plugs again and it does the same thing. I am getting a code (not a check engine) of exhaust pipe temp on lower bank1 or something like that. I am thinking it is getting too much fuel not sure how to fix it. All the gauges read normal not overheating and no antifreeze in the oil, I dont thik it is a head gasket. Just bought the truck used so I dont know what has been done to it prior.

August, 27, 2009 AT 8:04 PM

Typical symptoms of an engine that is running rich (too much fuel, not enough air) are poor fuel economy, elevated emissions (Carbon monoxide or CO), and engine may have rough idle or surge condition.

Possible causes include a bad O2 sensor, excessive fuel pressure (bad fuel pressure regulator or plugged return line), leaky fuel injectors, dirty air filter or restricted air inlet, or a defective coolant sensor that prevents the engine management system from going into closed loop mode.

tcovino@hotmail.com

August, 27, 2009 AT 8:59 PM

I had the air cleaner off so I know it is getting air. No code for anO2 sensor I also replaced the fuel pump in the tank. The coolant sensor is working because the gauge read true all the way up to 190 degrees not problems with temp. Not overheating. I dont know where the regulator is finding that would be nice and is the fuel system supposed to have a certain pressure I can check? I still have flames coming out of the tail pipe?Thanks in advance

August, 28, 2009 AT 1:26 PM

The fuel pressure regulator is within the fuel rail its a canister looking with a vacuum hose attach to it-

Your fuel pressure should be 44-54psi

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
 Oil Change and Filter Replacement Subaru
Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Air Intake Boot Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Air Filter Replacement
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla