1998 DODGE DAKOTA 3

1998 Dodge Dakota

DDykeman

July, 13, 2006 AT 6:14 PM

1998 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 automatic with overdrive.

I just read a problem, that a guy was having with his truck, on your site. Sounds like the same problem i'm having.
The truck will start and run fine while idling, but as soon as you get up to speed about 50 to 60 kms per hour, its start to backfire, surges, and wants to quit, I let off the gas and have to step on it again to get it to go, sometimes it will and other times, it won't, I have to let off again, put my foot to the floor and it will come out of it, and once warmed up it doesn't seem to do it anymore, I have change sparks plugs cap and button, air filter, had gas filter replaced about 2 yrs ago, just had it in the shop, and they think they found it said it was a plug wire wasn't down in the distubtor right it was bent, so I said ok and took it. Got about 1/4 mile away from the repair shop and took to acting up again, NOT FIXED yet. Good thing they didn't do up the bill.
It sound like the same problem the guy had that was going to blow it up think his was a 02. I had replaced the o2 sensors about 1.5 yrs ago. Had it in the shop about a week ago for a seal in the rear end, and was telling them about this problem, They suggest that I put it on the machine they have and run this new product through and it cleans out motor and o2 sensors and I should get better gas mileage. Great if it works but back to the same problem. Any Ideas,
have to take it back the first of week. Hope you can HELP

Spyder33

December, 26, 2006 AT 4:11 PM

Sorry I wish I had an answer but I am having the exact same problems with my 98' Dodge Dakota 3.9. I've had complete tune up, replaced; trans. Pressure sensor, catalytic conver, & o2 sensor, Even had the heads rebuilt! Drove 100 yards from the dealership - same problem. In shop for 5 1/2 of last 6 weeks. So do not replace these parts - let me know any fixes.

Frustrated,
Spyder

Oil and Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Engine Oil Change and Filter GMC Sierra
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota