VACCUMM LEAK ???

1987 Dodge Colt

waykool77

April, 6, 2007 AT 7:42 AM

1987 1.5 liter. Someone told me it wasa vaccumm leak.I can start it up when its cold and it will idle high until the choke opens then it idles really rough. And when put into drive it dies.I took the air cleaner off and sprayed carb cleaner all around the carb while running and it starts to rev high. Also when I put my whole hand over the carb it revs high. Shouldnt it die?Not this car it , I t has a fuel heater inbetwwen the carb and the manifold witch is plastic. I changed the gaskets there and it still does the same thing. Please help me

April, 6, 2007 AT 8:24 AM

You sure the choke is fully open-before it dies do you see a lot of black smoke from the rear.

Check the EGR first

If the EGR system is leaking or inoperative, it can cause driveability problems, including detonation (knocking or pinging when accelerating or under load), a rough idle, stalling, hard starting, elevated NOx emissions and even elevated hydrocarbon (HC) emissions in the exhaust.

Try spraying around the intake manifold area-when it smooths out you got your culprit-check all vac lines and I mean all.

Chasing down a vacuum leak can be a bear

Best tool to use is the vacuum gauge-

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars