Fault code P0700 on Caravan

UNLUCKY_ME?
  • DODGE CARAVAN

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, 6cyl, auto trans with O/D. I changed my battery (dead) and shortly before this, tach and spedo maxed out while starting car. This stopped about 5 seconds later. About one week later the check engine light was lit. The fault code, using off/on ign key, showed "P0700". First couple of days all seemed ok other than light being on. Next few days the transmission stayed in second gear no matter which forward gear it's shifted into. Transmission sometimes shifts hard into R or any D, but only have second gear.
Dodge dealer states car out of warrenty 4 mo ago and bring it in for diagnostic check. Dealer stated cost of $150 for diagnostic and then more for parts and any servicing. (Another $300+)
Any Suggestions?

Friday, November 16th, 2007 AT 10:21 PM

2CARPROS KEN

That code is telling you the PCM that it cannot see which gear you have selected. I would start with the gear range selector switch.

Here is are some diagrams and guides to confirm the failure.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-a-neutral-safety-switch-works

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken

Thursday, September 7th, 2017 AT 11:47 AM
FKM
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

My check engine light is on and took it to get the code read, code was P0700 which I know means Electronic Automatic Transaxle Control System Malfunction. My van isnt having any problems going into gear, its not making any noises etc. Any idea what I need to replace? Thanks

Thursday, September 7th, 2017 AT 11:47 AM (Merged)

Was the code erased and then came back?

+9
FKM

Yes the code was erased, stayed off for a few miles then came back on.

+1

Refer to this link for more information: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0700

WRENCHTECH

That is just a generic Powertrain code to alert you that there is a transmission issue. Now you need a transmission shop to use a professional scan tool to read the more specific codes that are stored in the TCM

+2
FKM

Ok took it to a trans shop, said it was code 740. I was told by the person I got the vehicle from that there was a bolt missing from the torque converter could this cause the code or am I going to have to send it to the shop?

JLEBEAU13
  • 2006 DODGE CARAVAN

Thank you for responding so fast to my first question. My wife drove the van this morning and came back home and now their is no p0700 code.I reread the van several time and the p0700 code does not come back up. Why would the code be their yesterday and not today?

Could be the torque converter itself, have it further checked-

Thursday, September 7th, 2017 AT 11:48 AM (Merged)
KHLOW2008

Some codes are intermittent and it could be due to a loose connection somewhere and might not come back immediately after the code is erased. If the problem had not been resolved, it would come back later.

WRENCHTECH

SYMPTOM
P0740-TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CONTROL CIRCUIT

WHEN MONITORED
During Electronically Modulated Converter Clutch (EMCC) Operation.

SET CONDITION
Transmission must be in EMCC, with input speed greater than 1750 RPM. TCC/L-R Solenoid achieves the maximum duty cycle and can not pull engine RPM within 60 RPM of input speed. Or the Transmissions is in FEMCC and engine slips, TCC greater than 100 RPM for 10 seconds.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

RELATED DTC'S PRESENT
INTERNAL TRANSMISSION
INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS

+1
JOEMAC39
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

Have a 03 caravan, parked for 2 months last winter, started in spring and noticed all the lights for parking indicator are all on. The horn started going off randomly then would stop did that for a day then the check engine light came on also, went in to limp mode, funny thing is I shut car off start up and no more limp mode, sprayed down all the wires with wd40 type oil and let sit for a few days, took for a drive and dam check engine light goes out, stayed out for 3 months till yesterday, now its on and limp mode sometimes, if I turn car off it will shift normal. Error code is still p0700 points to tcm. The tranny shifts like a dream when working out of limp mode my guess from drive indicator lights all messed up its a green wire some place near the tcm what do you guys think?

A green wire? How did you arrive at that? The place to start is by reading and recording the diagnostic fault codes. Chrysler makes reading codes yourself real easy but those are just codes in the Engine Computer. Code 700 just means there are fault codes in the Transmission Computer. Simple code readers used by most auto parts stores won't access anything other than Engine Computers. You'll need to use a scanner to access the Transmission Computer, and that usually means visiting a mechanic.

You'll want to replace the spark plug wires. Soaking them in oil leads to deterioration and misfires.

-1
CPIERS
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN

1998 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 123000 miles

speedometer and odometer not working, doesnt seem to change gears properly. I replaced input and output sensors, I took van to have codes read, it shoes a p0720, p0715, po500, and a p0700 with the last 2 codes repeating what would you recommend next?

BMRFIXIT

Suspect wiring
check wiring harness between input, output sensors and the TCM
check for a open or a short wire

Possible Causes
OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN SPEED SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE SPEED SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS

NOTE: Low fluid level can be the cause of many transmission problems. If the fluid level is low locate and repair the leak then check and adjust the fluid level per the Service Information
Start the engine in park. Raise the drive wheels off of the ground.
WARNING: PROPERLY SUPPORT THE VEHICLE.

Firmly apply the brakes and place the transmission selector in drive.
WARNING: BE SURE TO KEEP HANDS AND FEET CLEAR OFF ROTATING WHEELS.

Release the brakes and allow the drive wheels to spin freely.
NOTE: The drive wheels must be turning at this point.
3

With the DRBIII , read the Output RPM Is the Output RPM below 100?

PALLANESFOUR
  • 1999 DODGE CARAVAN

1999 Dodge Caravan V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 2000 miles

what does this code mean the engine light goes on then the speedometer goes back and forth the code is po 700 the milege is 2000,000 :oops: :)

P0700. Transmission Control System (MIL Request) try having the vehicle speed sensor.

WHITETIGER1971
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN

1997 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I have a code P0700 THAT CAME UP ON MY CAR WITH 120000 MILES ON IT. WHAT DOES THIS CODE MEAN

MHPAUTOS

Hi there this is a transmission code, go see a transmission specialist and get a full diagnostic done on the transmission first.