BATTERY OR ALTERNATOR?

2005 Dodge Caravan

GINGIN43

June, 3, 2009 AT 2:43 PM

2005 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 89000 miles

MY VAN SEEMED TO BE COMPLETELY DEAD. THE KEY OPERATED LOCK WOULD NOT WORK. I HAD TO MANUALY UNLOCK THE VAN. THE VAN STARTED BEAUTIFULLY WHEN THE JUMPER CABLES WERE APPLIED BUT IT DID NOT STAY ON. LIGHTS ON THE PANEL WERE FLICKERING AND THE GAUGES WERE FLUCTUATING. THE VAN DID STAY ON LONG ENOUGH TO DRIVE IT HOME.

Zackman

June, 4, 2009 AT 2:24 AM

There is a chance that your battery is still good but it is not being charged completely.

This is what I would do. Remove the battery from the vehicle and charge it using a battery charger. If you don't have a charger, most auto parts store will do this for free, takes about 2 hours. Once the battery is fully charged, re-install in the vehicle, and drive the vehicle to the parts store so they can test the entire electrical system to find out exactly which part has failed.

Keep in mind that in your case the voltage regulator is inside the PCM, if the parts store says that the alternator is bad, ask them to test the alternator output. (Right at B+ connector of the alternator and ground). If it is more than 13.5 volts, then the alternator is working but the voltage regulator is not (replace PCM). I f it has less than 13.5 volts, replace the alternator. The tester will be able to tell if the battery is still good.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue