POSSIBLE TIMING BELT

2002 Dodge Caravan

lscapa

June, 22, 2009 AT 3:11 PM

2002 Dodge Caravan 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My wife was driving the van at aroun 70mph and the engine just died. The starter still turns over but you don't really hear the compression so I assume it's a trown timing belt. Is the 4 cylinder a interference engine? If not what should I expect for a repair bill?

Jacobandnickolas

June, 22, 2009 AT 11:07 PM

First, check engine compression to see if there is a problem with the timing belt. I don't believe it is an interfearance engine. IF it's only the belt, I would estimate around 400.00 for the repair (based on where you live, that could change)

lscapa

June, 23, 2009 AT 7:44 AM

Checked compression yesterday evening and sure enough. No compression. Should I also go ahead and get the water pump replaced since I'll be that far into it?

Jacobandnickolas

June, 23, 2009 AT 1:47 PM

Is the compression actually 0 PSI? Also, with 150K on it, I would replace the pump when you are to that point.

lscapa

June, 23, 2009 AT 1:49 PM

I didn't have a gauge available but didn't actually feel any compression with my thumb over the #4 spark plug port.

Jacobandnickolas

June, 23, 2009 AT 1:52 PM

That isn't good. Let me know what you find.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe