Windshield Wipers not working

GAGRITS
  • 1991 DODGE CARAVAN

The windshield wipers will not work. I can here the motor and it sounds like it is moving at the correct speed for the speed I put them on, but the wipers themselves do not move. Any suggestions on what might be the problem, and could I fix this problem myself easily at home?

thanks!

Wednesday, September 27th, 2006 AT 9:16 AM

BUBBA_KOSKI

Get a new wiper motor but do not turn the core in, put the new motor on, and if problem is not fixed return the new motor and check for wiring problems, the reason you do not want to turn the core charge in (your old motor) is that the next day or so they turn the old motor in and have them rebuild it, if possible got to advance auto parts and get a motor built by GP Sorensen.

-1
Wednesday, September 27th, 2006 AT 11:02 PM
LIPPSJR1
  • 1994 DODGE CARAVAN

Six cylinder automatic 100,000 miles

I was driving in the rain the other day and my windshield wipers stopped mid swipe and would not come back on. We checked the fuse and it is fine and we can hear the wiper motor running, but nothing happens as a result. What might be the cause and how do we fix it?

+2
Friday, December 30th, 2016 AT 3:04 PM (Merged)

Since both wiper arms stopped, and you can hear the motor run, it sounds like the linkage is disconnected at a ball and socket joint. You will find that you can move one arm and both will move together.

When only one arm stops moving, it is usually a loose 15 mm nut on the arm pivot. Just lift the plastic cover at the base of the arm. It will snap up revealing the nut that must be tightened.

Less common is a pressed-on linkage arm that falls off the pivot. The assembly must be removed for this repair. The arm is tapped back onto the splined shaft, then a light tack weld will prevent it from coming off again. This will also cause only one arm to stop moving, and moving one arm will not cause the other one to move.

+1
PENNYSWORTH
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN

When I got the van sometimes when you hit the turn signal for a right turn the wipers would come on. But now they will only work in the lower intermediate range, but just barely. The washer part works just fine, hit the washer and they come on. The rear one works fine.

We checked the fuse and the relay (we did change the relays) and they seem to be fine. My mechanic replaced the switch on the column, but that was not the problem, so he replaced the wiper module, still the same problem. So we are stuck without wipers. What else could cause the wipers to not work. Also is there a plug in where if I took it to say advance auto for them plug it into a diagnostic.

No computer readouts for the wipers. Check to make sure there is twelve volts of power to the motor. The motor itself may be bad.

+1
TRIN04HAIL07
  • 1999 DODGE CARAVAN

I turn my front wipers on and they would not work. When I press the button for the washer fluid they will come out. I have checked the fuse which is located in the fuse box under the hood. There is also two relays for the wipers.

Check to see if there is power to the wiper motor. The motor may be bad or there may not be power to it.

-1
GRANDMABEE
  • 1993 DODGE CARAVAN

My daughters was out in the snow and her wipers stopped, they work fine and then stopped. I am from older school of glass fuses hers are a plastic prong looking fuse how do you know if it is the fuse or the motor? And if its a motor could you tell me where it is on this car and I might be able to do the work I hope. Her husband works two jobs and she needs to have this car running with three kids any help you could offer a grandma gal would be helpful. Thanks so much, Laurie

CH112063

Best way is with a test light. It can be bought at the store here. The details on testing fuses is here also. Make sure it is not just a bad wiper motor ground. Use a jumper wire. Run it from any good engine ground to the motor case to check it. OKay if you need any help, just e-mail me. The outer cowl must come off, and both arms.

LITTLESCHIPPER
  • 1993 DODGE CARAVANDODGE CARAVAN

I have a LE, 3.3L, auto transmission, 230,000 miles, and the wipers do not work. I checked the voltage at the connector to the wiper motor and it was good so I replaced the motor but the wipers still do not work. When I turn on the wipers, whether it is intermittent, low, or high, I hear a click from under the dash. It almost sounds like a circuit breaker cycling because after the initial click when turning on the wipers. I can hear the click again about five seconds later. The other functions on the turn signal stalk work (signals and windshield washer.) Is there a relay or some other switch under the dash? (The clicking is definitely inside the passenger compartment, the click cannot be heard from the engine compartment).

+1
Friday, December 30th, 2016 AT 3:05 PM (Merged)
JMSMATHISS
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN

Two wheel drive automatic

the windshield wipers stopped working, a had a mechanic try to troubleshoot the issue and they came to the conclusion that it is a bad BCM. They checked the wiper motor, interior switch with no results. When I push the interior switch for the wipers to wet the windshield the wipers will come on but only for five to ten seconds and then stop. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi, if you just turn on the wiper, no wash, do the wipers work okay? I cannot be sure about your make and model, but on some, when you hit the washer, the wiper will only work for a few seconds, then shut off.

JMSMATHISS

I am sorry I should have explained it a little better, the wipers do not work at all when you turn them on, they only work with the wash feature?

I see, check fuse nine 30 amp, underhood fuse box, use testlite should be hot all the time. Also, check the high/low wiper relay, under hood fuse box. Pull the relay, turn on wiper control, use a testlight, terminal 30 and 87 should be hot.

+1

My two cents worth: The Body Computer is a very common problem for exactly the symptom described. Thank you for the observation about the washer causing the wipers to run for a few swipes. That's the clue that clinches it, and it proves the wiper motor and wiring are okay.

Unfortunately, replacing the body computer is not a do-it-yourself procedure. It is even frustrating for the professionals. The module is plugged in next to the firewall in front of the brake pedal, and some bolts must be removed to get it out. Too bad the engineers saw fit to complicate a simple, reliable circuit with an unnecessary, expensive computer. The wipers in my 1988 Grand Caravan do exactly the same thing with a switch and very inexpensive module.

• 1997 DODGE CARAVAN

My wipers blades will not work and when it rains water pours in my van from under the dashboard. What causes this?

ASEMASTER6371

Could be from the windshield or the tray by the windshield that has clogged the drain with leaves and debris.

-1
JDS1954
  • 1995 DODGE CARAVAN

My windshield wipers will not work. I checked the fuse, I bought a used motor at a junk yard, it worked for a couple of days, now will not work again. Could there be a problem with the connection maybe dirty or greasy? Let me know. Thanks.

+1
BMRFIXIT

Check for a bad ground. Run a test ground wire to the motor first suspect a bad motor.

+1
ASSILZADEH
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 130,000 miles

The wipers on my car stopped working. It is working only with washer fluid button, but when I turn on wipers they do not work. Could you help me figure out what the problem may be? Thank You!