THROTTLE CABLE HEATING UP?

Dodge Avenger

Josh

May, 23, 2006 AT 1:42 PM

I have a 1997 Dodge Avenger, 140,000 miles. Throttle cable started sticking, replaced it and it worked great for about a week. When I checked it, it was melted! Changed it again and after a quick test drive found it to be extremely hot. Any ideas what would cause this?

losone

May, 23, 2006 AT 1:54 PM

How close does it run to the exhaust manifold?

Josh

May, 24, 2006 AT 8:16 AM

No, it's not near the manifold. That's the first thing I checked. It seems like it's an internal problem like maybe a ground? Is that possible?

losone

May, 24, 2006 AT 3:24 PM

It is a very rare occurance when a throttle cable heats to the pont of melting. Look under the dash to see if there are any wires touching the cable. Do the same the entire lenght of the cable. The cable internally is grounded at the throttle body and at the gas pedal

There is a remote possibility that you may be missing the ground beween the engine and fire wall and the cable is acting a ground conductor.

Check all grounds from the battery. Remove and clean the one to the engine, frame and insure you have one from the engine to the firewall. If so make sure it is clean on both ends.

Good luck

Josh

May, 26, 2006 AT 8:00 AM

Hey, thanks. It did turn out to be a battery ground problem!

losone

May, 26, 2006 AT 9:48 AM

Thanks, thats wahat us old codgers are here for! I'm glad I could be of service losone

Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element