INJECTOR CLEANER

1996 Dodge Avenger

David001

July, 22, 2009 AT 2:34 PM

1996 Dodge Avenger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 97000 miles

I had purchased a 96 Avenger that was sitting for 5 years. I drove it home and it was working fine. I had poured some injector cleaner into the gas tank and now the car will not start. I have checked the injectors with an ohm meter and they are all reading at 1.43 ohms. I had pulled one end of the fuel pump off and there is plenty of gas coming through it. The car seems like it isn't getting gas or enough gas to run. What else can I check or what do you think is the problem.

caradiodoc

August, 7, 2009 AT 7:55 PM

Why waste your time testing injectors? They didn't all fail at once. Did you check for spark? Also, how did you confirm the fuel pump is working? It should only run for one to two seconds when you turn on the ignition switch, then only when the engine is rotating, (cranking or running).

If you have no spark, suspect an intermittent or defective camshaft position sensor.

David001

August, 10, 2009 AT 10:08 PM

I have spark and the fuel pump is working properly. I cleanned all the injectors in sea foam and the car did run for a day and now nothing again. When I drove it the day it worked it seemed like it didn't have enough horse power. Any other suggestions?

caradiodoc

August, 11, 2009 AT 4:23 AM

Now that it doesn't start again, check for both fuel pressure and for spark. If both are missing, look at the crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor. When their pulses are missing, the engine computer turns off the Automatic Shutdown (ASD) relay which sends current to the injectors, coil(s), and fuel pump or pump relay.

As for the low power, 5-year old gas is stale and will reduce performance. Also, after the battery was dead or disconnected, the engine computer will request fuel metering based on factory-programmed initial values. As you drive, the computer will make adjustments called short term fuel trims to produce the least emissions possible. As the computer continues to use the same values, it puts them into the long-term fuel trims. These are the values the computer will use the next time you start the engine. The long-term (LTFT) are an indication of how much the computer is modifying fuel delivery beyond the pre-programmed starting values. The STFT are a better indication of what's going on right now. The longer you drive the vehicle, the more the fuel trims will stabilize and the car will run better.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang