COOLANT FROM CRANK PULLEY

• scottryanirving
  • 2004 Dodge Ram

My 2004Dodge Ram 1500 had the check gauges light come on and the only thing wrong was the voltmeter was at the far left "L". I was three miles from home and when I checked under the hood there was what I believe to be coolant all over the engine but appeared to be leaking from the bottom crank pulley. About this time it started to make a belt squealing noise.

Sunday, May 26th, 2013 AT 6:58 PM

• CJ MEDEVAC

AN INSPECTION MIRROR MAY HELP FIND IT

IS THE LEAK ORIGINATING BEHIND THE FAN. AND SQUIRTING DOWN ON A LOWER PULLEY. IF SO, THIS MAY BE A WATER PUMP ISSUE

IT MAY ALSO BE FOOLING YOU, IT COULD BE A HOSE SQUIRTING TO A DIFFERENT LOCATION, AND DRIBBLING DOWN.I SAW THAT MYSELF, YESTERDAY, AT THE PARTS STORE

IF YOU TEST IT AGAIN. INSURE YOU KEEP THE RADIATOR FULL

WATCH OUT FOR THEM PESKY MOVING ENGINE PARTS!

Sunday, May 26th, 2013 AT 7:46 PM
  • scottryanirving

It's a steady stream coming from behind the bottom pulley. I still can't figure out why my voltmeter is showing a negative draw. The squealing will intermittenly stop and when it does stop the voltmeter returns to normal. As soon as the squealing starts back up the voltmeter pegs far to the left. Thanks for the answer.

Sunday, May 26th, 2013 AT 9:04 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

OK THE BOTTOM PULLEY THING SORTA AIN'T MAKING SENSE

LET'S SNATCH THE OIL DIPSTICK OUT AND VERIFY IT AIN'T MILKY AND WATERY AND OVERFILLED (SYMPTOM OF COOLANT GETTING INTO THE CRANK CASE. FOR WHATEVER REASON). WE WILL ADDRESS THAT IF IT COME OUT THAT WAY!

LET'S GO BACK TO "MY THOUGHTS"

SOUNDS LIKE THE WATER PUMP BEARINGS ARE LOOKING UP (OR SOMETHING ELSE). THE WATER PUMP MAY BE THE LEAK?

WHEN IT "LOCKS" MAYBE THE BELT QUITS TURNING. THE ALTERNATOR QUITS TURNING. THE GAUGE READS "NOTHINGNESS"?

MAYBE YOU AIN'T GOT A GOOD VIEW OF THE PULLEYS. THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY. IS WHAT "I" WOULD CALL THE BOTTOM PULLEY

I STILL DON'T KNOW YOUR ENGINE SIZE?

REMOVE YOUR BELT---CHECK ALL OF THE ACCESSORY PULLEYS TO SEE IF THEY TURN FREE AND SMOOTHLY. LOOK FOR WOBBLE TOO. IDLERS AND TENSIONER INCLUDED!

LETS HOPE YOUR OIL DIPSTICK LOOKS NORMAL

KEEP ME POSTED ON YOUR FINDINGS

PICS ARE VERY WELCOMED TOO!

Monday, May 27th, 2013 AT 2:43 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

UP ABOVE. MISTAKE!

"LOCKING" NOT "LOOKING"

SOUNDS LIKE THE WATER PUMP BEARINGS ARE LOCKING UP (OR SOMETHING ELSE)

Monday, May 27th, 2013 AT 2:45 PM