Thanks for replying to my question.
When I tested the contacts in the plug I found that power was there. But further concentration on the plug revealed that there is a faulty contact somewhere because if you apply pressure on one side of the plug while attached, the lights work. I played with it for an hour or so and dissambeled the multiswitch again but could not find the cause. I finally gave up and just reassembeled everything and inserted the end of a zip tie between the plug and the socket, in just the right spot, and it worked.
Not a very satisfying fix but it worked.
Sunday, September 27th, 2009 AT 11:55 AM