2002 Chrysler Sebring engine control module

PANTHER76
  • 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING
I took my car to the Chrysler Service place after seeing the check engine light come on. The code was P0601. They told me they had to replace the car's computer. The quote say "DRB tested P0601 internal controller failure tested connection and wiring internal failure in PCM" They gave me a quote of $647.90 for the PCM and $53.97 to program it. Is this reasonable or are they overcharging me. I don't think there are many Chrysler places to go in the area so I don't know what to do. Is the price and repair reasonable? What options do I have? The car is running fine but I need to pass inspection. Is there a way to turn off the check engine light by pulling a fuse perhaps? Thanks for your help,
Scott
Monday, October 6th, 2008 AT 4:17 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC
Hi Scott,

The price sounds about right from a dealer.

I would call around to a few of your local garages and ask them for a quote on the job. I feel you can get a better price from a local garage than a dealer.

Also if you have any knowledge of cars and feel you can do the job of replacing the computer yourself you can save even more. Call around to you local auto parts stores and see what the computer would cost you. You would then only need to have someone program it.

Hope this was of some help.
Monday, October 6th, 2008 AT 7:36 PM