ENGINE TICK/KNOCK

1993 Chrysler New Yorker

brencc147

March, 16, 2006 AT 7:47 PM

I have a 1993 Chrysler New Yorker and the engine is ticking, louder since an oil change. I was told it was the " lifters" but I don't understand what this is and how serious it is. Can it be repaired or do I need to replace the vehicle. It is too old to replace the engine, I think. The ride is basically smooth, just a tiny bit rough, but could use a tune up. It's mostly the engine noise. Thanks

vandragon

March, 18, 2006 AT 8:19 PM

What weight oil was used? What engine do you have?
I once had a buick with a 403 v8. When I changed the oil with 10w30 it did the same thing. Then I used 3 quarts of 10w30 and two 20w50 to change it again and the ticking stopped. If you live in the cold north try just 10w40. There is a lot of junk on the market to add to the oil. If you can find a can of STP, try that first.

brencc147

March, 20, 2006 AT 5:07 PM

The Chrysler is a 330 or 303 engine (v6). I'm not sure what weight oil was used but it was ticking before the oil change, just got worse after. A " mechanic" told me to use Lucas Oil Stabilizer and it did quiet down a little for about a week but now it is back loud again. Is this a " fatal" engine problem? He said it was lifters going bad.

brencc147

March, 20, 2006 AT 5:08 PM

Sorry, forgot to say I live in Cleveland. Cold and unpredictable weather.

Derek Brichacek

September, 26, 2007 AT 6:56 PM

Yes mine just started doing the same thing my dad took the pice apart and shur enough it one of the lifter that moved freely he said they shoulnt do that and hopfuly the shaft isnt broken off inside

Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Camaro
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic