DO I NEED TO REPLACE HEAD BOLTS WHEN REPLACING HEADS?

Chrysler Laser

kerry john

February, 16, 2006 AT 6:48 AM

I recently replaced the heads and got a valve job on my 1990 plymouth laser. It ran great for aprox. 1 week. Then all of a sudden white smaoke come from everywher, under hood, out the exaust. Tons of white smoke. So I immeadtly stop driving, I'm sure I dodn not drive it far enought o get it hot. Anyway the question I am asking is I have heard the when replcaing the head gasket, replacing the head bolts is a good idea, because they get streched out over the years, is that true? Should I replace them. The car is 15 years old after all but, it will be well over $100 to do so. Do you think this is my problem? The car ran fine for a week before it started doing this> please please help///

bighead1121

February, 16, 2006 AT 7:22 AM

Had the same problem w/an eclipse, someone said about the head bolts to me too but I had a friend look at it and it was my injectors too expensive for what I had in the car so its sitting in the scrapyard

jpam

February, 23, 2006 AT 12:48 AM

Yes what u are beening told is true. Those old stretch bolts cant pull the head down tight enough to get a good seal. Causeing the new gasket u just bought to blow out. So save ur self another headache and buy some new head bolts & gasket and follow the specified torquing sequence for that car. Make sure u check oil to to make sure that no antifreeze got mixed in. Hope that answers ur?
Jess S.

Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang