The motor mount was successfully replaced. It was a difficult
but not impossible task. There was no access through the wheel
well because the mount is behind the frame rail, under the
exhaust manifold and steering rod, as well as some brake lines,
etc. I did end up removing the front driveshaft, which gave me
enough room to get my arm up to the back of the mount, over
the front differential to remove the nut on the mounting bolt.
After removing the mounting bolt on the passenger side, I lifted
the engine from the pan to remove the defective mount. The
engine did not seem to want to tip over, but I put blocks of
wood on both sides to make sure. If it tipped while I had my
hands in there, I'd be trapped for hours before being found.
The broken motor mount came out easily since it was in two pieces
because the rubber was gone. Getting a new whole mount in would be
a different matter. I had to modify the mount slightly with a
cutting wheel to allow installation between the frame mount and
the block, and to allow the lower block mounting bolt to be
installed. Although I have a replacement mount for the passenger
side, I did not bother to replace it, since it seemed to be OK,
and I'd have to drop the starter to get at that one. Enough was
enough on this job. Hopefully this will help someone in the
future. Thanks a bunch!
Wednesday, March 14th, 2007 AT 9:19 AM