1996 Chevy Tahoe power steering pump pressure line

Steering problem
1996 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 250000 miles

96 tahoe got a hole in the rubber part of the line. What is the procedure for replacing it.

Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 2:03 PM

Hi Mullins,

This is a fairly difficult repair. The fitting that connects to the back of the power steering pump is difficult to get at and has to be done from under the vehicle unless you want to tear apart the whole front of your motor. (NOT recommended) It is also very crucial that you properly lubricate and install the O-rings on the ends of the new hose. I would not recommend anyone who does not have at least a strong back yard mechanical knowledge and expertise taking on this job. If it leaks when you are done you have to start over and you are dealing with fairly high pressures in this hose.

I would recommend a set of long shank hose wrenches, a set of long shank box end or combination wrenches, and a good drop light. Also, before you start, power wash or clean the back of the pump and connections at the frame rail of any oil, dirt, or other crud being careful not to get your alternator or other open electronics wet. I usually cover mine with a gallon size ziploc bag and zip tie around the bottom of it. Just remember to take it off before starting the vehicle again.

Jack up and securely support the vehicle with appropriate jack stands (I don't recommend ramps unless they are heavy duty and made to support trucks). From under the vehicle (this is where the light is critical) find an access route to the high pressure hose fitting on the back of the power steering pump. This is the one that is usually hard to get at. Use a hose wrench (a box wrench with a notch cut out of it basically, preferably 6 point) to break loose the hose fitting. Make sure you have a catch pan ready to capture the fluid that will drain from the pump. It's a good idea to suck as much fluid out of the pump as you can with a large syringe and hose or, fluid transfer pump if you have one. Remove the hose from the pump carefully noting the routing of the hose. After the fluid stops running out of the pump clean it as well as you can with a shop rag. You don't want to get this stuff in your eyes, in fact, I recommend safety glasses while working on any vehicle.
From the top side, loosen and remove the other end of the high pressure hose at the connection on the frame rail below the pump and remove it from the vehicle. Again, make sure you know how to route the new one.

This is where I like to lubricate and install the O-ring on the pump side hose end and then cover it in a small 1" wide zip lock bag like the ones small screws come in. It keeps the O-ring clean and protected while you route the new hose in and, if held in place with a rubber band, come off easily in tight places. Once you get it routed and in place, remove the protective device (you should use something) and carefully seat (push in until it fits tight) the hose end in the pump and start the threads of the collar nut without cross threading them. This is much easier said than done and will take some calm, slow effort. Secure it and tighten securely but don't over tighten. You will know when ot bottoms out and then a 1/4 to 1/2 turn is usually enough to tighten it. Make sure your hose is properly seated in the pump before you tighten it or you could damage the new hose end. Repeat O-ring installation on top side end of hose, seat, and tighten it.

Fill your power steering pump to the recommended level and replace the cap. I like to pull the coil wire and turn over the engine for 30 seconds to turn the pump and prime it and then reconnect the coil wire and start the engine. Make sure everything is clear and there are no tools, etc in the way first. Once you can hear that the pump is primed and pumping (high pitched whiring noise means the pump is air locked) slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times and recheck power steering fluid. Top it up as necessary and keep an eye on the level for a few days to make sure air in the system hasn't escaped and drawn fluid from the reservoir.

This is just my way of doing it. Hope it helps.

Thursday, September 2nd, 2010 AT 4:41 PM