2004 Chevy Suburban Bleeding brakes with ABS

SIXFAIRVIEW
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN

Brakes problem
2004 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 40000 miles

I replaced all 4 calipers and the master cylinder on my 2004 Suburban. I performed the manual brake bleed as the service manual says. I did this multiple times and get no air bubbles at the calipers. When the engine is off I can pump the brake pedal a few times and it builds up pressure nicely. When I start the engine and try to pump the brakes the pedal goes to the floor. My feeling is that the ABS system is at fault here. I am not getting an ABS light on the dashboard. In the service manual under ABS it states that there is an automated bleed procedure that can be started with a scan tool. My question is, is there a way to initiate this automated bleed procedure without a scan tool? If not is this scan tool a special dealer only scan tool or can I use one of the many aftermarket scan tools?

Wednesday, October 7th, 2009 AT 6:50 AM

SERVICE WRITER

Couple thoughts on this one.

Why did you did all of this work? Initial problem?

I have had some success with taking a vehicle like this up to 30 mph and then jamming on the brakes to cause the abs pump to cycle and in essence removing air out of it. The scan tool automated procedure may be needed, and is not able to be intiated optherwise as far as I know.
Obviously do this with care.

Did you replace the pads, and rotors?

These brake pads need to be grooved out so they can move back and forth and lubricated as well. Were the pads freely able to move?

Plug of the lines going into the master cylinder and press on the brake, it should be rock hard. Maybe bad master? Hoipefully this was a new one and not a reman.

Wednesday, October 7th, 2009 AT 7:56 AM