2006 CHEVY SILVERADO TRANSMISSION FLUSH AND SYNTHETIC FLUID

• Cgcomeaux
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2006 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 84,000 miles

I just purchased a 2006 chevy silverado 5.3 liter flex fuel ready. 84,000 miles very well maintained from the looks of everything, but I do not have prior service records.
I wanted to know if I could do this:

I would like to flush the transmission with a quality synthetic transmission fluid and change the filter. Then drive for about a month or 1000 miles, and then do a fluid and filter change. (Not a Flush using synthetic fluid again.) I have read that when you flush a high mileage tranny that the synthetic fluid can breakdown any sludge or buildup and cause premature failure of the filter. So I will only go 1000 miles or 1 month and then just do regular fluid and filter changes from there using synthetic fluid for the life of the vehicle. How does this sound to you?

Sunday, January 13th, 2008 AT 4:56 PM

• Dennyp

The 06 silverado has synthetic fluid from the factory. It requires dextron VI fluid. Doing a trans flush with this fluid will be just fine.

Monday, January 14th, 2008 AT 9:22 PM