2001 Chevy Silverado na

JIMMYPAPANIA
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I was driving y truck down the road and after I cameto a stop it seemed like the trukc didn't want to go and it seemed like it was dragging from the rear it does this sometimes and then its fine for a while but tonight was the worst, please help me out I cant afford a new truck
Wednesday, October 15th, 2008 AT 11:01 PM

JASONRAY
Possible transmission problem. It sounds like it's not downshifting everytime and you're starting off in 2nd or high gear. It'll feel super sluggish if this happens. There are solenoids in the transmission that control this. One could be sticking and preventing it from downshifting. They're pretty simple to replace if you determine this is the cause. Are there any codes? Check engine light?
Thursday, October 16th, 2008 AT 7:19 PM
JIMMYPAPANIA
No there are not any codes or the check engine light is not on
Friday, October 17th, 2008 AT 1:19 PM
JASONRAY
Try to better describe what's happening. I'm gonna try my best to help you. When you say "dragging from the rear" what exactly do you mean? Like you're pulling something? Or do you hear something abnormal? I keep re-reading your question and still, the first thing coming to mind is the transmission is NOT downshifting. Try this: Next time it does it, if you're going slow (like leaving a traffic light) pull the shifter down to LOW or 1st gear manually. See if it will make a difference. Get back with me and let me know how that test went.
Sunday, October 19th, 2008 AT 5:29 PM
JIMMYPAPANIA
Well the best way to describe it is, yeah its like im pulling something heavy and its only when I first take off and when I do take off it drags and it feels like the truck is vibrating and its coming from the back of the truck, kinda like the rear end is locking up or something of that nature. And I tried what you said about putting it in first gear and that does not make a difference

confused Jimmy
Sunday, October 19th, 2008 AT 6:46 PM
JASONRAY
Well, manually shifting to LOW doesn't always override the problem. You still could have a transmission problem, BUT. You feel a vibration. This could be a shudder from the transmission or, what you said, the rear end failing. I would tend to think if the rear end was failing, it wouldn't straighten up. So, I'm still leaning towards the transmission. Can you drive a standard? Have you ever tried to start off in too high a gear? Or shift to a high gear too soon and lug the engine? You feel a little shudder/shake/jerk. Similar(but not exactly the same) things happen when you do an automatic that way. It's trying hard to go but the gear ratio is too high so you lose torque. The engine lugs, and the transmission starts slipping/shuddering/shaking trying to stay engaged under the tremendous load from the engine. I've also seen them try to go into 2 gears at the same time causing similar results. I really think you need to get it to a transmission shop unless you're pretty snappy with automatic trannys.
Monday, October 20th, 2008 AT 9:57 PM