CHEVY BRAKES

1999 Chevrolet Silverado

lowe2453

February, 12, 2008 AT 7:48 PM

Brakes problem
1999 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 174000 miles

when the brakes are applied the whole truck shakes and it feels like the brakes are pulsing or you have flat spots on the tires every time they go around the more speed the worse it shakes I have replaced the ball joints pitman arm idler arm calipers rotors and pads

mastertechtim

February, 12, 2008 AT 7:56 PM

Sounds like bad rotors again. Also check to make sure your calipers are not sticking.

February, 13, 2008 AT 3:02 AM

Moderator reinforcement: I totally agree with Tim-to prove it: Mike it or use a dial gauge and check for out of roundness and the parallelism of the rotor-Caliper piston might not be retracting due to its seal or its binding inside the bore.

merlin2021

February, 13, 2008 AT 7:23 AM

Where do you feel the shake? In the seat or the wheel? If fronts are warped you will feel the pedal bounce and maybe the steering wheel shake, if you feel the truck shaking and it seems to come from the seat area, check the rears, get the truck up to speed and use the parking brake, feel anything? Before you do this get under it and pull on the cables to make sure they work, then as you do the test keep the release lever pulled, or if it's a locking pedal apply the pressure so it releases as you do it! Start with light pressure and continue the force unless you can feel it right away.

lowe2453

February, 16, 2008 AT 1:13 PM

As soon as the brakes are applied the shaking starts and gets worse the harder you brake. The shaking is the whole front end but it doesnt pull to either direction it is like it is loping. This all started after replacing ball joints.

mastertechtim

February, 16, 2008 AT 1:58 PM

You need new rotors is my opinion.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front