CHEVY HEAD LIGHTS BLINK ON AND OFF

1981 Chevrolet Silverado

bullwhip1

October, 20, 2009 AT 3:25 PM

1981 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 101589 miles

hello
i have a 4 headlight system 1981 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4, the head lights will start blinking after being on for about 1/2 hr, it only does this when they are on bright, and then both dim and brite blink, if I leave them on dim, they will stay on, with no blinking,
it does not matter if the truck is moving or setting still, they still blink
i have replaced the headlight switch and the dimmer switch 3 times, thinking I might have gotten faulty ones, this is about to drive me crazy !
also replaced all bulbs and sockets, and none of the other lights are affected ! Like, dash, brake, turn signal. They dont blink
i am think of getting a heay duty headlight harness from LMC, that draws power from the battery, instead of the headlight switch. !
can you help with this problem?
thanks
charles

pear69

October, 20, 2009 AT 8:55 PM

Does it do this when the engine is running? Do the lights go completely out? Did you check the ground connection?

bullwhip1

October, 20, 2009 AT 9:52 PM

Yes it does it when the engine is running, and it does it with the engine off, and yes we check and cleaned all the grounds

pear69

October, 20, 2009 AT 10:14 PM

Do a voltage test drop test on the circuit. It sounds like you have a corroded wire somewhere. Test the voltage drop on both the negitive and positive side of the circuit.
A wire may appear to be good, it may even have continuity, but below the insulation - it can be corroded or broken. Causing a voltage delivery or drain issue.
Check the harness connector (the electrical plug). Make sure the internal connecting tabs are making good contact.

Headlight Bulb Replacement Volkswagen Jetta
Headlight Bulb Replacement Acura MDX
Headlight Bulb Replacement GMC Yukon
Headlight Lens/Housing Replacement Mini