FIRING ORDER

Chevrolet

mbruce

December, 23, 2006 AT 7:56 PM

I have a 1991 Chevy Lumina van with a 3.1 liter engine. I was changing the plugs and messed up the firing order. I have found the firing order, but I do not know which spark plug connection on the distrubutor cap is number one, which is number two, etc. Please help if you can. Thanks.

hyknrd

December, 23, 2006 AT 10:34 PM

Some caps have some kind of markings for #1, some don't. If yours doesn't you can turn the engine over manually at the crankshaft(usually clockwise) until the timing marks align on zero. That should set the rotor at #1 position. But make sure by pulling the #1 spark plug and feeling for compression as the crankshaft nears the zero mark. Or pull the valve cover and check that both the#1 valves are closed.

Hope that helps

burrbrian

December, 24, 2006 AT 5:55 AM

When you do get #1 cylinder on TDC see where your rotor is pointing at on the cap and #1 wire will go there, then going clockwise follow the firing order around the cap. Example- chevy v-8 is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order so after finding #1 you would take plug wire from #8 plug to the next place on the cap and continue through the firing order in this fashion. Having a 3.1 engine I believe is a v-6, isn't it? Two less plugs and wires to worry about. In the future if you only take 1 wire loose at a time you can avoid this confusion and keep it all in order. Good luck.

Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500