Crankshaft pulley out of alignment

MLEGGETT2
  • 1998 CHEVROLET LUMINA

1998 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 152000 miles

3 weeks ago my serpentine belt broke on my 1998 3.1l Lumina. I replaced it, and yesterday it broke again. I replaced the belt and the tentioner, and noticed that the crankshaft pulley appears to be out of allignment with the other pulleys; a third of the belt hangs of the inside of the pulley as if the pulley has moved outward from the engine.

Is it possible the the crankshaft pulley has moved? And do I fix this?

Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 AT 2:04 PM

JGBTTW

You are not crazy mleggett2, my son's 97 Lumina has done the exact same thing and he has 146000 miles. Question is for the experts. How did 4 other pulleys move simultaneously one way and stay perfectly in line and the crank pulley move the other way? Something is going on here. If anyone with some real knowledge about this problem KNOWS what the problem is, I would welcome their response, otherwise I can sit here and guess with the best of them. Thanks

Saturday, February 12th, 2011 AT 3:06 PM
MLEGGETT2

Turned out to be a worn out harmonic balancer. I had it replaced (sorry, I don't remember what it cost), and it works great.

Here is a guide to help I found on this site

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-a-harmonic-balancer-works

Saved me a bunch of money.

+2
Saturday, February 12th, 2011 AT 3:15 PM

Yep this happens all the time.

Please use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Tell a friend please.

Cheers

Saturday, February 12th, 2011 AT 9:10 PM
SURPRISEFARMS

This EXACT same problem just happened to me over this last weekend so to clarify even further on Jacobandnickolas last response. The pulley is not the part that moved, the Harmonic Balancer actually separated from the pulley and then moved outward. The balancer and pulley come new as one unit however the balancer is simply fused to the pulley with a rubber material and only looks like a one-piece solid steel unit. In my case the rubber deteriorated over time allowing the balancer to move freely from the pulley.

+6
Monday, February 28th, 2011 AT 8:59 PM