CHEVY CRANKSHAFT PULLEY OUT OF ALLIGNMENT

1998 Chevrolet Lumina

mleggett2

July, 15, 2009 AT 2:04 PM

1998 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 152000 miles

3 weeks ago my serpentine belt broke on my 1998 3.1l Lumina. I replaced it, and yesterday it broke again. I replaced the belt and the tentioner, and noticed that the crankshaft pulley appears to be out of allignment with the other pulleys; a third of the belt hangs of the inside of the pulley as if the pulley has moved outward from the engine.

Is it possible the the crankshaft pulley has moved? And do I fix this?

Jacobandnickolas

July, 17, 2009 AT 7:07 PM

The crankshaft pulley really can't move unless it has come loose. You would know that. Have you checked to see if any of the brackets the accessories are mounted to have come loose?

jgbttw

February, 12, 2011 AT 3:06 PM

You are not crazy mleggett2, my son's 97 Lumina has done the exact same thing and he has 146000 miles. Question is for the experts. How did 4 other pulleys move simultaneously one way and stay perfectly in line and the crank pulley move the other way? Something is going on here. If anyone with some real knowledge about this problem KNOWS what the problem is, I would welcome their response, otherwise I can sit here and guess with the best of them. Thanks

mleggett2

February, 12, 2011 AT 3:15 PM

Turned out to be a worn out harmonic balancer. I had it replaced (sorry, I don't remember what it cost), and it works great.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 12, 2011 AT 9:10 PM

There is your question. The pulley is mounted to the balancer (which starts out a solid unit and shouldn't allow the pulley to move) if that came apart (worn) then and only then can the pulley move. The only other way is if you have excessive end play in the crankshaft. You see, some people don't guess. They look at things rationally. A worn harmonic balancer is very odd. Just so you know, most balancers are made of steel (solid) and can't wear.

surprisefarms

February, 28, 2011 AT 8:59 PM

This EXACT same problem just happened to me over this last weekend so to clarify even further on Jacobandnickolas last response. The pulley is not the part that moved, the Harmonic Balancer actually separated from the pulley and then moved outward. The balancer and pulley come new as one unit however the balancer is simply fused to the pulley with a rubber material and only looks like a one-piece solid steel unit. In my case the rubber deteriorated over time allowing the balancer to move freely from the pulley.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler