Crank sensor location

SUPERSENIOR2008
  • 1992 CHEVROLET LUMINA
Where is the crank sensor on a 3.1 motor? On what part of the motor is it located or is it behind some part of the motor? Please help me!
Sunday, October 5th, 2008 AT 8:40 PM

On your 1992 Chevrolet Lumina-Sedan/Coupe 3.1L MFI OHV, the crankshaft position sensor is located: Under hood, passenger side, lower engine area, passenger side of engine block, mounted front of crankshaft pulley. Here is a guide to show you what you are in for when changing the sensor out and diagrams to show you what it will be like on your car below.

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 AT 10:46 AM
ELWOOD REUBER
  • 1991 CHEVROLET LUMINA
Where is the crankshaft sensor located and how is it removed?
Friday, June 22nd, 2018 AT 2:30 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
On lower right rear of engine.
TINKERGIRL
  • 1990 CHEVROLET LUMINA
I have tried locating it with different repair manuals and databases and nothing tells me where the sensor is located. Please help!
It is on the lower rear right of engine by the oil pan. If you look from above the transmission and shine a light down there you will see the wires going to it. Not very easy to get to.
Under hood, center, rear engine area, passenger side of exhaust pipe, above oil pan, mounted in engine block.
I agree, not very easy. Safely raise and support the vehicle, so you can get at it. Even after you remove the hold-down bolt, may be very stubborn. If that is the original sensor, that flange is very thin and very brittle. Use a long shank screwdriver, after you remove hold down bolt and electrical connector. Place the tip of screwdriver in sensor electrical socket, push up, as hard as you can. If the sensor pops up a little, you can probably remove the rest of way with your hand. Maybe you will get lucky and it will be easy to remove. I usually do not get that lucky.
DAG2012
My mother's 1990 Lumina Sedan suddenly refused to start the after she had ridden it the day before without any issues for years. Last time it had a problem was when it suddenly quit running about twelve years ago and I believe the mechanic said it was the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). If I remember right he said he bypassed it so that it would never cause any future issues. And whatever he did worked well for years, I have a few questions, is bypassing the CPS possible? After trouble shooting this car now for the last ten days, we eliminated fuses and such and to me it looked like it could be possibly the Ignition Control Module (ICM) or the Electronic Control Module (ECM/PCM). Took it in to a garage and after their analysis they said it was probably all three. I said that is impossible for all three to bad at the same time. So they convince me to replace the least expensive part, the CPS. If fact they said there are two CPS's in the Lumina one in the oil pan and one outside (I do not believe there is two). Anyway silly me agreed to let them change the outside one which is the only one I am aware of. Needless to say once replaced the car still did not start (still has no spark at the coming of the spark plugs). So now they thinking to replace the IGM, then next possibly the ECM. I am reluctant to give them the okay to replaced these in fear that the bill mounting up and there is no guarantee that after all three parts are replaced that the car will start. My initial thoughts was that the ICM had gone, only wished that they had started there first. Any opinions?
TINKERGIRL
If there is no spark it is either your brain (ECM) or the Igniter (ICM). This is just from what I have learned. I am no expert. All my problems after replacing the ECM had to do with the fuel system. I replaced all the injectors and the fuel pressure regulator. I hope that this helps. However, your best bet is to post the free question to the mechanic's forum yourself and they will assist you more. Good Luck!
TEGTMEYER1
  • 1991 CHEVROLET LUMINA
Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic.

Would someone please tell me exactly where the crank sensor is located on a 3.4L z34?
BMRFIXIT
3.1L and 3.4L.
Crankshaft sensor is located on lower right rear of engine.
Dag, I do not know how the mechanic would bypass the crank sensor?