LOSS OF OIL PRESSURE

Chevrolet Impala

kelly71159

Will failing to replace the oil filler cap after adding oil cause a loss of oil pressure?

palco

The FILL cap? No not unless its a sealed system. I don't know of any production cars that use a sealed syst. But replace it just the same, you don't whant dirt getting into the engine. How many miles what engine and what wieght oil did you use?

kelly71159

January, 10, 2006 AT 1:51 AM

After checking the oil and finding it a 1/2 quart low I added about a pint of 10-30 and a pint of additive (you know the thick stuff)
I then drove about 3/4 of a mile to a store without a problem. On the way home I noticed the engine dogging down pretty good and then a few moments later the oil light came on. Right away I realized that I forgot to put the filler cap back on and I stopped to put it back on. The light stayed on for a bit then went off. The engine also began running fine.I drove it to work today without any apparent problems.I'm thinking it was either the cap or maybe the additive clogging something up for a bit. Correct? The car is an 88 Mazada 626. What do think about any potential damage? Should I get the additive back out and clean the screen? Thanks much for your help.

kelly71159

January, 10, 2006 AT 1:53 AM

Oh yeah, the motor has approx. 154,000.

Cosmo

January, 10, 2006 AT 6:01 AM

Ummmmm.I guess the obvious question is, when your oil light came on and you realized the filler cap was missing. Did you check the oil level again?

kelly71159

January, 11, 2006 AT 12:28 AM

Yes I checked it right away and it was fine. No oil on the engine either.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco