1980 CHEVY EL CAMINO CAR SPUTTERING...

• dcd5269
  • 1980 Chevrolet El Camino

1980 Chevy El Camino 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

It takes a few pumps of the gas to get the car started. Once it gets started it "sputters" until I take off. It runs fine as the car is accelerating and maintaining speed. No stops or stalls. Once I get to a red light/ stop sign/ heavy traffic and come to a complete stop the car will slowly die. It doesn't happen all the time though, only occasionally. It just seems like its not getting enough fuel.

I'm thinking I need to change the fuel filter. Could it possibly be anything else? Like the carbuetor or fuel pump?

The most important question is: How do I change the fuel filter? Is there a free online diagram or a good website? I haven't browsed this site yet so maybe this is the one.

Tuesday, March 31st, 2009 AT 2:17 PM

• James W.

'80 was start year for the computerized fuel systems. Is yours throttle body injected or carbed? If carbed, is it a dual jet(2 barrel) or a quadrajet(4 barrel)? Please advise.

Tuesday, March 31st, 2009 AT 2:58 PM
  • dcd5269

Wow. I'm not sure if it is throttle body injected or carbed. It has a carburetor. How would I find this out?

I also don't know if it is a 2 barrel or a 4 barrel. How would I go about finding this information?

Tuesday, March 31st, 2009 AT 9:04 PM