HORRIBLE GAS MILEAGE

Chevrolet Corsica

dandar

April, 7, 2007 AT 11:28 PM

I just purchased a 1993 Chevy Corsica, 140,000 miles
4cyclinder 2.7L engine. I drove it 40 miles and runs smooth Idols great, maybe a little slug in power, but not bad. It used 3/4 tank of gas! I know I should get better mileage than that!
I am new to this auto repair thing so don' t know much about what I am doing.I was thinking I would start with plugs and filters, then I saw the post about the timing chain, are these models known for that? How much do they cost to fix and can I do it my self?

bootdog

April, 8, 2007 AT 6:38 AM

I would suspect a fuel leak. Going through 3/4 tank of gas in 40 miles is a bit extreme. Follow the fuel lines from front to back and see if you can find a leak.

dandar

April, 8, 2007 AT 11:46 AM

Would I have to be going down the road to see the leak? There is nothing under the car and I don't smell gas in or out of the car? I found out this morning that when the gage shows 1/8 tank YOU ARE EMPTY no gas light came on no slug of the engine. JUST STOPPED.
Could this have anything to do with the other?
Like I said I have just purchased this car and haven't done any maintenance checks or anything!

bootdog

April, 8, 2007 AT 2:27 PM

Just to be sure run the vehicle at idle and make sure you don't see any fuel leakage. If there is no leak then I would then suspect a leaking injector(s).

flaminkiss23

August, 29, 2009 AT 11:32 PM

I was having the same problem intill I checked my spark plugs, they were gapped more then what they were suppose too. That helped gas mileage alot too.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Accord
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn Vue
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet