CHEVY MASTER CYLINDER

1981 Chevrolet Citation

dcgreen

November, 27, 2009 AT 3:40 PM

Brakes problem
1981 Chevy Citation 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 138450 miles

I'm having trouble removing the rear brake lines from the master cylinder. I have applied penetrating oil but nothing good has happened yet (the nut started to round over). The master cylinder appears to be made of aluminum while the nuts on the brake lines appear to be made of steel. Can I apply heat to these connections and if so to which component? Is there a way to recondition the flare nut or do I need to cut it off and splice in a new connection?

November, 27, 2009 AT 4:11 PM

Hi dcgreen and TY for the donation

Grab it with a vicegrip and splice in a new connection or replace the brake line. Once its round off its a done deal

dcgreen

November, 27, 2009 AT 4:18 PM

There are two flare connections going to the rear brakes. One flare nut is still good. This is the one I asked about the heat. The one that started to round in still gripable but needs some kind of lub of how do I correctly apply heat to this connection as well?

November, 27, 2009 AT 4:21 PM

Shoot it with penetrating oil and use a blow torch

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer