TOTALLY FRUSTRADED...CANT AFFORD A MECHANIC...NEED TIMING HE

Chevrolet Cheyenne

z85man

July, 1, 2007 AT 5:01 PM

How do I find out the timing on a 1988 cheverolet c1500 4.3l v6?The motor I was told was pulled from a 1987 s-10. The distributor came with it.I tdc'ed the motor and have set the #1 plug wire at 6, 7, and 5 oclock positions. On 6 it wont fire at all, on 7 it will start but not time up correctly. It idles very roughly and carbons up the plugs. The best I could get was a lopsided lopeing at idle. If I pushed it up on rpms. It would run great. But I cant get a smooth idle. On 5 oclock it backfires thru the carb and starts fires.I am desperate and totally frustrated.I have beenon this for a week now and changed everything. Including the throttle body.I also changed the fuel filter. And yes I used a timing light. Lol

GOOD2RIDE

July, 21, 2007 AT 3:26 PM

Try starting over at T.D.C and rotate the distributor 180 degrees from where it is now, remember to plug off the vacuum advance and idle the engine up to keep it running and advance you timing to 7-10 degree. This should get you in the ball park, also if you have a local " AUTO ZONE" give them a call because their using a new computer operating system that has a lot of tech. Information on each individual auto that they carry parts for. Hope this helps, James.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350