CHEVY ENGINE TURNS OFF

1978 Chevrolet Cheyenne

Augustusmagnus

August, 16, 2010 AT 11:19 AM

1978 Chevy Cheyenne V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Small block 400 that while running will just turn off as if a switch has been hit and then does not want to re-start, a few hours later or the next day it will start and run well but within a few minutes will just turn off again and not re-start. This has a mechanical fuel pump (not electric) and we changed out the coil, cap and rotor.
Please help.

hmac300

August, 19, 2010 AT 1:37 PM

Check to see if you are getting any power tothe coil as you may behaving an issue with the ignitiion switch. Especially since you changed the distributor parts. Also if this has a vacuum advance check the resistance to thepick p coil as the wires n those would fail and cause your condition. The Distributor has to be pulled apart to fix that. Alsoif you go to the tune up site on hhere it will show you step by step on how to check your system for faulty parts.

Augustusmagnus

August, 20, 2010 AT 1:49 PM

Thanks for the response, I found the problem last night, it was the ignition module. I should have noticed it the first time in, thanks again.

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Air Filter Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars