1997 Chevy Cavalier anti lock system

IFPIGSCOULDFLY
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I've been having break problems wit my car for about two years. My ABS system will go on when I break, even lightly. My dad works on my car (yes, he is experienced) and he has not been able to figure out what is wrong with it. After he tinkers with something it will work again anywhere from one week to a month before it starts having problems again. I've tried to take it into a shop numerous times and each time they do something routine and send me on my way, only to have it break again in a couple days. They say my pads and roters are fine, and everything appears to be in working order. They can not figure out what is wrong with it either. We have replaced the entire ABS except, I think, the sensor. It is, however a problem with my breaks because when we unhook the ABS the passanger tire locks up and the other one doesn't. I need a solution that is outside the box. We have replaced cylinder, drums, shoes, pads, and we have bled the break lines, ground and greased the interface between the back plate and the shoes, new springs, checked the lines for kinks, swapped out the ABS System.
Saturday, March 21st, 2009 AT 12:34 PM

DAVE H
Hello .. thanks for the donation .. much appreciated

I thought this TSB may be of interest to you !!

ABS INDICATOR LAMP ON, DTC 21, 22, 32 OR 33 SET
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 63-50-15B

Related Ref Number(s): 63-50-15B
ARTICLE BEGINNING
ABS INDICATOR LAMP ON, DTC 21, 22, 32 OR 33 SET (INSTALL FRONT ABS WHEEL SPEED SENSOR WIRING HARNESS CONNECTOR KIT)
Model(s): 1992-97 Buick Skylark
1991-96 Chevrolet Beretta, Corsica
1992-97 Chevrolet Cavalier
1992-97 Oldsmobile Achieva
1992-94 Pontiac Sunbird
1995-97 Pontiac Sunfire
1992-97 Pontiac Grand Am
Section: 5 - Brakes
Bulletin No.: 63-50-15B
Date: March, 1998
NOTE:This bulletin supersedes Technical Service Bulletin number 63-50-15A, (Section 5 - Brakes). This bulletin is being revised to update parts and applicable model information.

CONDITION
Some owners may comment that the ABS indicator lamp is "ON". Also, malfunction DTC 21, 22, 32 or 33 could set.
CAUSE
The right front and left front ABS wheel speed sensor wiring harness could be damaged and result in an open circuit. The wiring harness may be damaged approximately 4 inches (10 cm) back from the harness connector to the wheel speed sensor. This allows moisture to enter the harness causing corrosion and resulting in the open circuit.
CORRECTION
A thorough inspection for corrosion and/or damage should be performed on suspect vehicles. It may be necessary to move the protective conduit away in order to inspect the wiring properly. If a failure occurs and damage is found, install the front ABS wheel speed sensor wiring harness connector kit(s). The kit includes instructions, splices, and "pigtail" connector.
PARTS INFORMATION
Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
PARTS INFORMATION
Year(s) Model(s) Part Number Description
91-96 92-97L-Car N-Car12140077Left Front ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Harness Kit
91-96 92-97L-Car N-Car12140078Right Front ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Harness Kit
92-94J-Car12128505Left Front ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Harness Kit
92-94J-Car12128504Right Front ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Harness Kit
95-97J-Car12187091Right and Left Front ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Harness Kit

Hope this helps .. let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_355.png

Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 7:49 AM